Sunday, March 5, 2017

Moonlight v-gap manicure


This year's Academy Award winner for Best Picture, besides being an outstanding film, really captivated me with its gorgeous promotional design. The colors in the Moonlight cover are just luminous, and I couldn't wait to put them on my nails. Plus the visual split of the main character's three different times of life into one image was a shape just begging to be nail art - so this was my motivation to actually attempt nail art for the first time in a while!








I enjoy matching colors from the real world with nail polish hues, especially because it tends to surprise me (I'm not as good at guessing them as I sometimes think!) Covergirl Outlast Blue Hawaiian was just the right teal-y aqua out of my myriad of aquas, which I nearly got rid of before I realized I had nothing like this shade in my arsenal! Salon Perfect Pure Azure, besides one of the coolest names, is my go-to periwinkle blue, and worked perfectly for the right half. The middle purple was the most surprising - Maybelline Color Show Amethyst Ablaze looks nothing like it does in the bottle on your nails, as you can see here - the metallic finish evidently requires some alchemy of silvery pigments in the bottle to create this really radiant warm purple. Casa de Maria does a great job of showing the finish and hue of this polish by itself; it's not very forgiving of flaws in your nails (as you can see on mine, sigh) but I was pleasantly surprised that it was completely, totally dry and ready for tape (to create the v-gap by painting the other two colors around it) in probably 15 minutes with no topcoat - unheard of! I love the Metallics line, which is from a few years ago, but I highly recommend tracking them down on Ebay or similar if this beauty is any indication of the formula.

No comments:

Post a Comment