Saturday, November 28, 2015

An artist's favorite car designs

I'm not a gearhead by any means - I barely understand how a combustion engine works, or the difference between corporation, make, and model. But recently got interested in pinning down my favorites. So this is an artist's take on cars - the pure aesthetics of car design throughout the years (a lot of my favorites are the classic 60s and 70s models)

I meant to write more, but I found this draft and decided it was worth posting as is. As you can see, a lot of them are favorites from movies, which is the primary way I end up seeing neat car designs, and and others are just favorites from my random browsing of car designs throughout history. I think it's interesting how car designs come to have a certain "personality," and say something about their drivers - which is on reason they're great for the movies, not only to play out the gearhead fantasy, but to build a character: you get a surprising amount of impression about a character, baddie or good guy, from their "signature" car alone.





1969 Dodge Charger (is pretty much always gonna be my favorite. Featured in numerous movies, just a really really cool shape, and "personality" combination of style and toughness.)


1970 ain't bad either - kinda like a Charger and a BMW had a baby.


Of the new designs, I think the Charger loses something in the translation and becomes very plain and blockish, except for that sweet little back end - all the same, fun to see in a sea of station wagons. (The Challenger is even blander) I much prefer the old models



Porsche 911 Turbo - my other forever favorite. While the Charger is tough and angular, this Porsche is petite, elegant, almost organic in its curves, and for some reason I love the fin on the back.


2005 Audi A8L (from Transporter films)

 
Aston Martin DB5 (original "Bond" car, Goldfinger & Skyfall)

bmw z8 by senner tuning - DOC436003

BMW Z8 (ft. in The World is not Enough; I do love the black one best though.)


1968 Mini Cooper / 2003 (ft. in The Italian Job [old and new versions])



1966 Alfa Romeo 1600 Spider Duetto

 1956 Jaguar XK 140 Roadster

1956 jaguar xk140 roadster (quintessential rich-boy/girl car, v. rare)



1968 390 CID V8 Ford Mustang (from Bullitt - the car chase is the only reason to watch that movie, and damn this car is fine)


Rolls Royce Silver Shadow (quintessential rich-person Rolls - can't beat the Shadow)


Toyota 2000 GT


1975 AMC Pacer


1971 VW Beetle


1965 Ford Galaxie


1970 Mercury Couger Eliminator


1958 Lincoln Continental


No comments:

Post a Comment